Fundamentals of Project Management
A two-day programme structured as follows:
One-day project management overview course that will provide candidates with an understanding of the processes, tools and techniques used in project management.
The course will include topics such as:
- Identifying projects in a world of business-as-usual.
- Creating a life cycle structure for a project.
- Laying solid foundations for a project (business case and requirements).
- Planning a project.
- Getting buy-in for a project.
- Allocating work effectively to a team.
- Monitoring and controlling a project.
- Managing unplanned events (risks, issues and changes).
A one-day workshop for candidates to be able to apply project management skills to a simulated project scenario.
It will be facilitated by an experienced project manager who will guide candidates through a series of project-related tasks, enabling candidates to gain experience and help embed the learning.
At the end of this module you will be able to:
- Describe the key elements of a project lifecycle and how to structure a project
- Understand the purpose and contents of a business case
- Apply planning techniques to a project scenario
- Understand how to get buy-in to a project
- Create a work package
- Understand how to monitor and control project progress
- Manage risks, issues and changes.
Hours for module: 20 hours.
How will the module be taught: 14 hours classroom, 6 hours pre-course study through Provek – provided resources. A blended delivery model comprising of tutor-led workshops (that could be delivered virtually or face to face at the client’s location) and self-study. Pre-course study will be required with guidance and materials provided by Provek.
Delivery sessions plan: 2 days consecutive tutor-led virtual classroom.
Audience for module: Day 1 is aimed at those starting out in project management and seeking to gain a high-level appreciation. Day 2 is aimed at those who are required to support projects as part of their existing role, however these delegates should also attend day 1.
Course leader: Mike Warren, Training Delivery Director – Mike is a professionally qualified project manager with over 20 years’ experience in the manufacturing, nuclear, offshore and defence sectors.