What you will learn
This masterclass will explore the essential role that effective communication plays in all aspects of working life. We will learn about principles of effective communication, discuss how to recognise and understand other people’s communication preferences, and explore the integral components of effective communication including choice of language, body language, and the importance of both listening and questioning. The masterclass will also consider barriers to effective communication, and the impacts if communication is poor, covering topics such as assertiveness, setting boundaries, and conflict management.
At the end of this module you will be able to:
- Reflect upon the core principles of effective communication.
- Recognise and understand other people’s communication preferences.
- Consider barriers to effective communication, and the impacts if communication is poor.
Hours for Module
17:30 – 20:30 (including a 30 minute break)
How will the module be taught?
Two workshops will be delivered via face-to-face workshop at the Yeovil College campus. The other four workshops will be delivered via MS Teams webinar. The Teams webinars will be live workshops delivered by a tutor to a small group of attendees – these are not pre-recorded sessions.
- Mon 06/02/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Yeovil College
- Tue 21/03/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Yeovil College
- Tue 17/01/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Online
- Thu 26/01/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Online
- Tue 21/02/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Online
- Wed 08/03/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Online
- Tue 14/03/23 17:30 – 20:30 – Online
The on-site workshops will be delivered at the Yeovil College campus, Mudford Road, Yeovil, BA21 4DR.
Module Delivery Dates and Times
2 per month for January, February and March 2023, including at least one twilight session wherever possible.
Who this is aimed at
This module would be appropriate for anyone looking to explore and reflect upon the essential role that effective communication plays in all aspects of working life. This module would be relevant to people working in a range of sectors and might be particularly useful for professionals who have recently taken on a management/leadership position, or individuals looking to progress their careers into leadership in the future.
Any other useful information
There are a limited number of onsite parking spaces at Yeovil College, which are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, costing £1 for the full day.
- Yeovil CollegeYeovil College/
- 3 hr session with a 30 minute break3 hr session with a 30 minute break/